Friday, January 13, 2023

Day 78

 

This Friday we did two different jobs.  First, we finished our Goldilocks and the Three Bears character page.  I don't think I have ever seen cuter bears. 


Second, we learned about Lunar New Year.  We compared similarities and differences between Lunar New Year and a holiday that we celebrate. We learned that there are many similarities but not too many differences.  Ask your child if they can share with you any similarities.



On Tuesday, our Artist in Residence is coming to work with Kindergarten to make something super special that hopefully will last a lifetime!!  I can't wait to share it with you on Tuesday's blog. 

*************************
Rock Star Round Two:

This week we completed our next round of Rockstar and we are looking forward to beginning our next rotation. This is an opportunity for your child to be the classroom special helper as well as show and tell presenter! A new name will be drawn each day until each child has a chance to share. 

 

In Kindergarten, students have been getting to know one another. We are exploring how individual characteristics, talents and interests make us unique. Our Rockstar is invited to share a tradition or something special you as a family do together. This can include birthday celebrations, movie nights, family dinners, holidays, game nights, ect.  

 

Some ideas include: 
A photo of games you play during a family game night. 
A photo of a special food eaten during a celebration. 
A photo of significant places you visit like camping in the summer. 
A photo of special clothing you wear for a holiday/celebration. 

 

Please email your child's teacher with the subject "(Child Name) Rockstar " and attach a photo. 
Spend some time with your child discussing your tradition so they are comfortable sharing about it and answering peer questions. 

 

Please complete and send this in by January 30 at the latest, we will begin this round next week. We look forward to hearing all about the special traditions your family has! 

 

****************************

Please keep toys at home!  

A big week back to school and everyone was excited to share their new gifts from the holidays.  I have seen an increase in toys and stuffies from home.  Please make sure these items are not coming to school.  It has caused some problems in the classroom.  The students all know Mrs. Hellyer's rule, the first time I see it, it is mine for the day.  The second time I see it, it's mine until a parent comes to retrieve it. The third time I see it, it is my dog's new toy. I very much appreciate your support with this and next week will be following through with taking things away. 


***************************
You may have seen an email for $8.00 to pay for the material for our Artist in Residence. The office has asked for you to pay this money online in your Powerschool Account and not through cash if possible. 
****************************

Hello! My name is Jaydene Reef and I am a fourth-year practicum student from Mount Royal university. I am so excited to have the opportunity to work with your children. I know I will learn so much from them and I am looking forward to getting to know you as well! I am very passionate about working with kids and teaching and am so grateful to have gotten placed in this kindergarten classroom. 

I really enjoy art, working out, and reading. I am also fluent in French and am hoping to incorporate some songs and other small French words into our school days throughout my time here. 


I know that I am going to take away so much from these incredible kindergarten classes and I cannot wait to see both their growth and my own as a teacher. With the help from a very knowledgeable, dedicated, and passionate mentor teacher, I am confident that this will be an amazing and transformative four months!