Monday, April 19, 2021

Day 134

 This morning our Rock Star was Jayeh. He shared: I like to play at the purple playground in front of my house. I love this place because I can have fun. My favorite part of the playground is swing. I can feel like fly in the sky and can feel the fresh air.




This afternoon our Rock Star was Isa.  He shared: This is my cousins backyard. I love spending time here and spending time with my family. I love jumping on the trampoline, playing hide and seek and tag, having parties with all my family gathering here. Also my mom and dad got married here. 


Today in PE we played a game kinda like bocce ball meets curling.  One friend threw a disc and then the rest of the group threw a ball to get as close as they could to the disc.  Whoever was closest to the disc won and then they got to throw the disc the next time.  


As we work towards learning how to read our colour words we learned a new poem this week.


The most exciting part of our day is watching the roots grow in our plants.  Although we don't have any big stems yet you can see how hard the seeds worked this weekend to grow huge roots.  



With Earth Day coming up this week, we read Todd Parrs I Love the Earth. We brainstormed different things we could do at home to take care of the Earth. I gave the kids the story starter, To save our Earth I can, and they finished the rest.  It is a great skill to be able to copy print from the board (their grade one teachers will be so happy they are able to do this) and I am also so impressed how well they are sounding out to do their kid spelling! The kids have come incredibly far in their journal writing this year. 

How we write our daily journals:
1. class brainstorm ideas
2. child writes their idea in their journal
3. child draws a picture of themselves
4. child add the action they are doing to match their writing
5. child add detail to show the reader their setting
6. child colour using at least five colours
**During this process we have frequent check ins with the teacher to make sure that we are doing our best job and to discuss what we can add to each step to grow as a learner.**